What: Launch of Nespresso Talents 2017, a unique short film contest
How: Nespresso teams up with video crowd Userfarm.com to ask aspiring filmmakers worldwide to submit short vertical films under the theme of “You have the power to…”
When: Contest opens February 11th 2017 and closes April 7th 2017
Lausanne (February 131th, 2017) – Today, Nespresso announces the launch of Nespresso Talents 2017, a unique vertical filmmaking contest showcasing extraordinary talent from around the world. Working again with leading global video crowd Userfarm and now in its second year, Nespresso Talents is pushing the boundaries of traditional filmmaking by asking that all submissions are in a vertical format (9:16), giving entrants a chance to explore their creativity through a completely new perspective. While landscape looks great on TV or in the cinema, vertical video is made for mobile and with 58% of video worldwide being watched on phones and tablets, more and more filmmakers and content creators are creating vertical videos to keep up with the times. The Nespresso Talents 2016 contest, also with Userfarm, was the first of its kind, and revolutionised the vertical aesthetic, transforming it from the preserve of so-called amateurs and kids into an art form in its own right. With 384 videos from over 40 countries, it proved to be a truly global explosion of creativity and further underlined Userfarm’s place at the top of the video crowdsourcing industry. Storytellers have an incredible power. They are able to provide hope, make us laugh, make us cry and change the world around them. By working with young filmmakers, Nespresso wants to create a rallying cry for a brighter tomorrow. Building on this notion, Nespresso wants to inspire filmmakers to create positive change in the world around the theme “You have the power to…” Entrants are invited to tell the story of how someone or something has the power to change situations or make a difference, no matter how large or small. The vertical film contest is open for entries from February 11th – April 7th 2017 on Nespresso.com/talents. A select jury of film specialists will select the best two films from a shortlist of 15 which will be available for the public to view on Nespresso.com/talents. Each selected filmmaker will not only receive funds for their film career but also an exclusive trip to the world-renowned 2017 Cannes Film Festival, where the top films will be formally announced and celebrated. Both selected filmmakers will receive mentoring sessions in Cannes with Semaine de la Critique and Berlinale Talents representatives. Two public favourites’ videos will also be rewarded. The Nespresso Talents platform aims to inspire filmmakers to create positive change in the world and to celebrate filmmaking talent globally. The contest brief also taps into cultural trends by offering a new storytelling perspective using the vertical format – a way of viewing videos which has already grown 600% in the last five years. Alfonso Gonzalez, Nespresso Chief Customer Officer explains: “Nespresso seeks out people who think differently, who are prepared to go further, push boundaries and demonstrate creativity in what they do. For this reason, we are proud to support film events, with a focus on young talent and innovation in film.” To build on the brand’s on-going support of cinematography, this year, Nespresso is honoured to be Official Partner to the British Academy Film Awards in 2017 and Official Coffee Partner at the Berlinale International Film Festival for the second consecutive year. Jeffrey Lee, CMO of Userfarm adds, “The Userfarm crowd’s mission is to empower global innovation and creativity in video – at the scale required by social media’s ravenous hunger for content. The worldwide reach, depth of talent and creative passion of the Userfarm crowd all match with Nespresso’s strategic aims and with this dynamic call to action in particular.”
- 2017 will be the 10th consecutive year that Nespresso has been Official Partner of the internationally renowned Cannes Film Festival. Continuing its recognition of young talent, Nespresso will be awarding its “Grand Prix Nespresso” for the seventh year running to the director of the best debut film in La Semaine de la Critique.
- com/talents will be the digital home for all information surrounding the content including the 15 pre-selected films, jury information, jury commissioned content, contest terms & conditions and the selected finalists.
- Additionally, official information will be available on Nespresso.com/talents and contest partner, Userfarm, the leading global crowdsourcing platform for video with access to 120 000 talented filmmakers worldwide.
- February 11th: Launch of the Nespresso Talents 2016
- April 7th: Deadline for applying
- April 24th to May 2nd: Public will be able to view and vote for their favourite films online
- May 19th or 20th: Finalists announced at the Cannes Film Festival